Monday, April 28, 2008

Waiting


I'm not terribly good at waiting and I seem to do it a lot, it's part of the nature of this job waiting to see if you are going to get an assignment. Waiting to hear back about if an idea is going to be picked up, that sort of thing.

I have to do a lot of waiting and I don't like it, not one bit. So to counter the waiting issue I'm going to impose a system, while this may cause some issues I think it's important. In essence any decision gets 14 days. After that the offer is closed. Game over. The person who made me wait that long is dead to my eyes (as they should be for piffling around for so long) and I can move on.

You can do a lot in two weeks, there are even two whole weekends to mull over something if you are too busy during working hours. Important things like where to live, if you should go out with someone and which job to take can be solved in less time than that. It's really not that tough, if it takes you longer than that to make up your mind you shouldn't be in charge of anything.

I'm having a bit of an angry day I think, I'm waiting to hear back from a few people about a few things (as you may have guessed) and I'm also looking into taking some other people and companies to small claims court for money I'm owed. I really don't want to do this but it's been months and it's starting to get silly.

6 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Take them to court! You'll feel better for it even if they STILL don't pay you back...

The Topiary Cow said...

Topiary likes this idea of the 14-day decision cycle.

Topiary has been moo-ing over a job change decision for longer than that and hasn't yet made up her mind.

Clearly, as you say, Topiary shouldn't be in charge of anything, even her own Life Decisions. Alas.

Cow is finding the hardest thing to know is One's Own Mind.

As for the little matter of coinage past due, Cow agrees with dj kirby.

Though it does take some time, at least one has the satisfaction putting them to a teensy bit of trouble or, best case, forcing them to move to avoid summons.

Moo!

Louche said...

DJ - I may never work for them again but it's worth it I think.

T.T.C. - Have you tried tossing a coin?

The Topiary Cow said...

(Cow quickly scrabbling in pocket)

Heads? or Tails?

Moo!

Amanda Castleman said...

Louche, the NUJ has some lovely advice about late-payers. Implementation of said rules – combined with my rabid lawsuit-happy Yank aura – has impressed EU debtors no end, so I can bluster into results, rather than actually going to court.

http://media.gn.apc.org/fl/0207late.html

http://media.gn.apc.org/interest.html

The union has an international freelance chapter and is well worth the dues, first because you get some free legal advice, but also for the smashing New Scotland Yard press card.

If you're not already a member, you need two sponsors. Happy to help ... Ax.

Louche said...

Amanda - Is that the sort of press card that you can put in your hat? I'd love one of them.