Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Let it Bleed, curfews and booze


The thing about curfews that I have learned recently is that they cause strife and good dialogue. I've got some absolute comedy gold from some of the curfew related conversations I've had with my flatmate but I just don't think she quite realises how many parties I leave sickeningly early to get back in time for the curfew. That's not even counting the after-parties and strange events in the twilight hours I've passed up because of the curfew.

Last night I was out with chums on the pretext of doing some work related stuff. It started off well and for at least a bit we were furiously coming up with ideas and writing them down in moleskines but then we were forced to leave the bar because of the football being on. Then we stumbled onto some metal pub where I brought a double round of beer and the work sort of stopped. Instead we swigged away happily while talking about fights, Roy Orbison and the Stones.

My first encounter with the stones was rather late, I think I was a teenager and while rooting around in the attic (which was always a source of exciting things) I found some of my father's records and a slightly wonky wind-up gramophone. The sleeves were caked with dust and I can remember slowly cranking up the gramophone while I looked at the strange cover of 'Let it Bleed' wondering what sort of music would be contained inside.

I listened carefully to it, and I can remember frowning slightly at some of the tunes but the final track 'You can't always get what you want' completely blew me away. If I'd had any say in my father's funeral or memorial it would have been one of the tunes I would have played.

Anyway it was a great pub conversation. and I was really having a great time but then when the clock struck ten I had to scamper off into the night to get home before the dreaded curfew. It was a real shame but then I suppose you can't always get what you want...

13 comments:

Roszs said...

You really need to do an entire post on this curfew thing!

Clair said...

Of course, you do know that Delia Smith made that cake?

Louche said...

Ros - All in good time.

Clair - I did not know that, how skill.

Kopaylopa said...

Yeah, I'm confused. Why don't you have a key? Or why don't you get the key from the flatmate who is at home before going out??

-K

Louche said...

K - I have a key, but she says she needs her sleep and even if I enter the flat with the stealth of a ninja she wakes up and then I get a proper telling off the next day.

scones with jam and cream said...

Is your flatmate also your landlady? If so, I would buy her a bunch of flowers, make some scones and be home well before the curfew for at least a couple of weeks.

Roszs said...

More to the point, is your flatmate also your mother? And are you fourteen?

The Topiary Cow said...

Cow isn't getting the whole curfew thing either.

If flatmate is also girlfriend, would make sense to pass up late-night opportunities, otherwise, not.

Cow is with roszs bif on this.

Moo!

Anonymous said...

Is flatmate sleeping on a fold out in the living room?

If flatmate has own room, surely door can be closed, ear plugs inserted, white noise machine turned on -- sound-deadening curtain dropped over door for god sakes, if you are THAT noisy --

and all could be well? Flatmate leading quiet at-home shut-in existence and Louche out on the town..

Anonymous said...

[in singsong tones]

Maybe flatmate lurves you and wants you all to herself, hence the curfew...

Louche said...

Scones - I brought some flowers last time I was really late and yes it helped.

Ros - Neither, actually I never had a curfew when I was growing up

Cow - Not my girlfriend. No no no.

Bigbouquet - I suggested ear plugs but she said she 'can't wear them'.

Anonymous said...

White noise machine then, with a choice of soothing ocean waves, babbling brook, or tree frogs.

Louche said...

BB - I think the best solution is that I should move out and live with someone who is a little less 'tense'