Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Not being angry


I'm terrible at being angry. Or at least venting. I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times I've really expressed my anger at the person whose caused it. Actually thinking about it I would have quite a few fingers to spare so I could use them for counting something else.

Which is not to say that I live my life in a Buddha like state of calm, it's just that I tend to just blank people as an expression of disdain, perhaps with the occasional cutting remark. While this is ultimately very effective I do wonder if perhaps it wouldn't help to just get a little bit shouty. Every now and then.

For example, when someone I was going out with said something earth shatteringly horrible and tactless I was rendered speechless. When what I really should have done is really express how awful what they said was and how I was amazed that anyone I knew, let alone someone I was dating would ever say something that unpleasant. Instead I'm just left to fume about it for months, possibly years.

When I think about it there are quite a few people I'd like to have shouted at, the family members who sided with my father's second wife over the memorial, my old boss from the job I hated when I first moved to London or even a range of ex-girlfriends for a range of subjects.

Maybe I should make this part of Operation New Life? Finding my shouty voice and learning to use it. Oh and anyone who suggests I watch the film Anger Management can just fuck right off.

7 comments:

Clair said...

Start with being shouty at strangers who piss you off - it's absolutely liberating. I remember my sister told a woman who'd pushed in front of us in Sainsbury's with a basket of sweetmeats that 'I hope you bloody choke on your Wagon Wheels'. Then you can move on to Advanced Shoutiness. S'great.

DJ Kirkby said...

Lol, we could trade personalities as I could do with being a bit less blunt about exactly how I feel about other people's behaviour!

Louche said...

Clair - I'll try, one step at a time

Dj - Well since you are a master of it, do you have any tips?

Kim said...

Or alternately you could just hire one of your caustic and eternally bitter friends to shout at people for you, god knows I could use the money and I have enough vocal rage for six of us.

Louche said...

Kim - I like it, what are your fees?

Anonymous said...

oh my god. Scary parallels with the things you and I are both trying to do in our lives.

I have thoughts on this, but have just left much too long a blather on a previous post and don't want to wear out my, ahem, welcome.

That said, here's this, in brief:
It helped me to realize I was entitled to my feelings. It also helped me to learn that if I expressed my feelings to another (as opposed to my opinion, or a fact) that it meant the other person was not entitled to tell me I was wrong. Because you can't be wrong about how you feel.

I paid a lot of money in therapy for that. If it is of any use to you, consider it my gift to you. Happy Birthday?

Louche said...

BB - Well that's a few hours on the couch I can skip.