Monday, April 14, 2008

The fish knife of mercy


I had a very nice weekend where I visited a friend for Sunday lunch. I used to make roasts all the time but as my current flatmate is a vegetarian it would be a bit impolite to fill the flat with the delicious mouthwatering tastes of a slow-cooking meal while you chop vegetables and listen to Radio 4. So instead I must sneak out to other people's houses to get my fix.

After a hearty meal we retired to the sofa to digest and talk of matters of importance. This was excellent and we talked about dinner parties, dating and other such things. I'm of the opinion that dinner parties with couples involved are horrible. You get a table full of people, half of whom don't really want to be there while someone odious holds court on either mortgages or quoting a television show. Being at a party like that makes me want to commit sepuku with a fish knife.

A dinner party of single people is entirely different, you have no idea how the night is going to end and so it's a little bit exciting. That doesn't mean you have to end up going home with a 'new friend' but it's nice to know it could happen. Mostly what happens is that someone will be sick and someone else will cry in the loo, but at least that's eventful.

So what I'm saying is that while I'm sure relationships are terribly pleasant for some people I think I'll stay away for now. Or perhaps I'm just babbling because I'm waiting for some news, some very important news and I just need to do something to not check my emails every 30 seconds.

3 comments:

Clair said...

Fantastic - it's always me who's both sick AND cries in the loo! Saves time, I find...

DJ Kirkby said...

Sigh...what news? What?! Oh and I wonder how many annimal by products are in that gunk your flatmate injects on a daily basis?

Anonymous said...

I'd welcome a good dinner party, but the problem with being divorced and "of a certain age" is that everyone else is married and so you don't fit into their seating chart.....

damn.

(See, social oddities you haven't even had to give thought to yet!)