Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Chocolate, two watches and the long walk home

I spent the morning in Barcelona, hitting a few of the tourist spots before it was time to jump on a plane.

By tourist things I mean try the special hot chocolate drink of Barcelona. I read about in a news paper travel section at least ten years ago so there has been quite a wait before I got to sample the delights of it. It's thick, almost like wood glue and is just on the edge of being over-poweringly full of flavour. You have it with little bits of sweet pastry that are crisp and slightly soft on the inside. It was worth the wait. I may have to come back again just to have it.

After that we strolled through the streets a bit more, I wanted to buy some tacky gifts for friends. One toy bull and some fans later I was sorted.

We stopped for a moment so the smokers in the group could stock up I noticed a little shop tucked away in a side street. Sparkling in it's window was a whole array of lovely pocket watches!

I always think a new watch starts a new phase in your life, so I was delighted to find a replacement for my current watch which is slightly broken. I ended up buying two because I couldn't choose between them. A clear white-faced number for everyday use and a steam-punk one which is clockwork and I will only bring out on very special occasions.

I wonder what new phase of my life will begin now, I bet it will be an exciting one, it's bound to be with a watch this much fun.

4 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Those pastries look glorious. Travel safe.

Louche said...

DJ - They were lovely, absolutely perfect. Anyone visiting Barcelona should try them.

Anonymous said...

I have looked, in vain, for pics of the watches! Er...? Are you sharing the glory? Or are you afraid one of us will come by and nick them?

Louche said...

Bigbouquet - I've posted a photo as per your request. I think you will agree they are rather smashing.