Sunday, April 06, 2008

Earning my boots.

I've wanted some cowboy boots for a while, but until today I would have felt a cheat wearing them.

Today I learned proper horsemanship, and all the stuff I've been learning over the last few days clicked. I get it and I really started to understand the horses.

To celebrate this we went for a hack (ride) into the hills surrounding the stables, this was a pretty extreme ride that covered all sorts of ground and had sections that would be challenging to walk on let alone ride.

While jumping a ravine I had to raise my leg to avoid getting it caught on a tree and I had a bit of a dismount. It knocked the wind out of me and I landed hard but I got back on my ride. You should always get back on and the horse came back to see if I was okay which was very sweet.

Anyway, I not dead and I don't think I've broken anything but I'm quite messed up which may present an issue. I have got more action adventures to do when I get home and currently I struggle to put on a jumper, let alone a pair of cowboy boots.

3 comments:

Amanda Castleman said...

Action Barbie tip, gathered from medical-spod family members: ibuprofen ASAP and every 3-4 hours, plus loads of water.

Not aspirin or parecetemol, mind: those just block the pain without relaxing torqued muscles.

(Actually, since I believe my liver is indestructible, I'd probably kick off the regimen with some Nurofen Plus and lashings of wine. But maybe you should do as I say, not as I do.)

Feel better, Ax.

DJ Kirkby said...

'a bit of a dismount'...I suspect that was an understatement. Hope you recover quickly.

Louche said...

Amanda - I followed your advice exactly, well the bit about drinking wine.

DJ - I grew up on a farm so I'm tough old soak, even if I do own a lot of cravats.