Monday, March 31, 2008

Invading Spain


I'm off to Spain tomorrow to learn how to Horse Whisper. This will be a slightly more troubled trip than planned for two reasons.

1) I still don't have my debit or credit cards, so instead I'm travelling with a reasonable wodge of cash hidden about my person.

2) I've not managed to get hold of the people I'll be staying with to do a last minute check in to ensure they will be able to pick me up from the airport.

As you can imagine this had added to the thrill of the journey. I'll be landing in a country I've never been in before, with a limited command of the native language, only the vaguest idea of where I'm staying and no real contacts should things go wrong.

Still, it could be the start of a brilliant adventure and at least I do actually have some cash with me so I'm not going to have to become a highway man or anything like that. Or at least I won't have to become a highway man for a couple of days.

Now I have to frantically pack my bags as in traditional style I've left it for the last possible moment, in my head I've already selected what I'm going to take but none of is it actually in any luggage yet.

Also I'm going to need to brush up on my Spanish, I was learning it slowly because of the previous girlfriend but since we split up I rather lost interest. Still I can't blame a whole dialect for the failings of one person and so I'm going to be working through it again while doing a million other things.

This isn't a total holiday I'll be working on a few things while I'm there, and I have a piece I have to hand in on Wednesday which means I'll be writing bilge about property while I'm over there as part of my quest to get a motorbike. There is an outside chance that I'll get to write about the trip for work which would be spiffing as it would be my first travel piece and provide yet more funds towards aforementioned bike.

What I especially like about this trip is it is exactly the sort of last-minute roguish adventure that best suits a single chap with responsibilities limited to a couple of plants and a wardrobe.

3 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

And you said you liked dark-haired, tempestuous women. It might be worth checking out a flamenco.

Amanda Castleman said...

Here's to the first of (hopefully many) travel pieces.

Not to mention dark-haired women and danger...

Louche said...

Gorilla - I adore that sort of women, but I'm trying to stay away for my health. So perhaps going to Spain wasn't so wise.

Amanda - Lets hope so, especially ones involving road trips.