Monday, March 24, 2008

Hazard perception and winkle pickers


The bike (and car) tests have got rather involved, now one has to take a theory test and a hazard perception test as well as the practical test we all know and hate.

The theory test doesn't bother me too much, I'm quite good at memorising useless facts and so knowing the stopping distance in ice when you are travelling at 70mph isn't presenting much of a problem. I brought a practice DVD anyway and I've managed to get to the point where don't have much to worry about.

The second part is the bit that troubles me. The Hazard Perception test involves watching a series of clips from a drivers view and and clicking the mouse when you see a developing hazard. I'm not completely sure what their definition of the hazard is. Buses turning right is a hazard, but a chap pulling a wheelie on his bicycle was gleefully ignored. Anyway I've brought a DVD and now I'm spending hours watching videos and clicking frantically when something even mildly threatening appears.

The other problem is I keep getting distracted by the other people in the videos just strolling along the side of the road. There was a lady who really shouldn't have been wearing winkle pickers with those trousers (click). A very ill-thought out mullet (click), a puffa jacket combined with shorts (click) and we shall not speak of the denim top and bottom combination that as far as I am concerned is definitely a hazard (click, click, clickity-click).

So I've had to take a break and look at something else for a while. All this hazard spotting is very tiring. I do wonder though, who ever actually picked some winkles in winkle pickers? Or creeped across a brothel in brothel creepers?

I can't really talk, I've never smoked a cigarette in my life but I've got a plethora of smoking jackets.

1 comment:

Clair said...

Maybe it was a DVD issued by the Fashion Police.