Monday, March 17, 2008

The Gentleman Adventurer and the Temple of Doom


The weekend of manly antics was deeply pleasant. I ache in places I didn't know you could ache and my legs are riddled with cuts from thorn bushes. I'm tired in that special way that you only get after a really serious weekend of running around and doing things in woods. Of course a weekend with a 'special friend' in Paris can have roughly the same affect, but that tends to involve fewer twigs in your hair.

The events on Saturday were as tiring and fun as to be expected, I've gone many times and I do really enjoy getting deep into the woods where the only noises you can hear are nature. It seems to re-charge the soul.

Sunday involved the tree top adventures. I took a friend to what can be best described as an Ewok village full of traps that we had to progress through in the name of entertainment. If this wasn't challenging enough it was rather wet, and windy and my chum had decided to do it in a monkey suit.

We scampered up rope ladders, ran across strange warped bridges with holes in and slid down all sorts of exotic rope slides across valleys and into other groups of trees. There was even a bit where you had to Tarzan swing into a rope net to progress which was like being caught in a giant fly swat.

It was excellent fun and the wind definitely added to the element of danger. Sadly the wind managed to get up to to Gale force 6 and such our adventure was cut short, but we did get to experience a reasonable amount of terror and a brilliant rope slide across a valley where you were chucked about by wind and rain.

We returned home damp but smiling and I'd love to go back and finish the course but it would probably seem a bit tame if it wasn't in storm conditions.

I've got a party tonight, for which I will have to keep my trousers on no-matter what happens. Otherwise any woman who sees my legs is going to wonder why it looks like I was mugged by a pygmy with a razor blade and that's going to take far too much explaining when you've just gone back somewhere for a perfectly innocent coffee at 3am.

No comments: