Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Facebook and dating


Facebook is an interesting device for relationships. If you meet someone in real life and then become chums with them on Facebook you are invited into their world. Suddenly their whole dating history is there to be looked as well as a selection of photos some of whom they won't have approved of.

It's as if you get to see a fairly honest appraisal of who they are which has to be a good thing.

The other thing I've noticed is that it's a subtle way of contacting someone when you haven't exchanged numbers. If you have chatted away to someone at a party but didn't ask for their number they can always find you on Facebook, especially if you are at a party with mutual friends.

This has happened to me a few times, where I've talked a bit of nonsense with a girl, then had to scamper on to some other venue only to get a little email to say that they want to become my friend. It's the timing that throws me. One girl added me to her friends when I was still out on that night out, does that mean she really liked me or did she just have a really bad night?

Last night I met someone at a bash for someone I used to work with, we happen to live close to each other so we got the tube together. I said a polite goodbye at the end of her road and ambled off into the night but by the time I unlocked my door I had an email saying that X wanted to be my friend.

Was that eager or just polite? Should people wait before linking up? Will it become part of the dating dance? Will people now start to wait three days before linking up so they don't seem so eager? Should I now go and have lunch with three female friends and obsess about someone named after a size?

3 comments:

Kopaylopa said...

you know what the other weird thing about facebook is? adding random bloggers whose real names you know and who you may have met in person but then none of your friends know how you know this person....

-k

Louche said...

That is an excellent thing to do with facebook.

Clair said...

Even I had to get rid of a Facebook stalker...it's THAT strange.