Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Bye Spider


I've just found out that my cat has died. He passed away in his sleep last night while dozing in the barn. This has made me really rather sad.

Spider didn't live with me because when I moved to London I was in a cat unfriendly environment so he stayed in Devon at my mum's house. It's a much better life for a cat really, he lived with a very grumpy lady cat called Stripy who he was deeply in love with and there was a nice warm aga to lean against.

He was quite an evil cat really, but very clever. Spider would use his paws to turn door handles so he could go into the parts of the house he wasn't supposed to be in. I remember when my little brother was small and would be scampering around the garden Spider would always be there, keeping an eye on him like a black furry angel. He was the same with me when I was younger. I'd often go off into the woods on my own to fight stinging nettles with sticks or build castles out of wood and Spider would come with me.

He was a really good rat hunter and was covered in scars from vicious fights with the giant rats that patrol the stables. Spider would kill all sorts of things and then leave them as offerings in the boot room with a little side salad of grass. Even though he was probably responsible for half the deaths of birds in the county Spider never went after the chickens or the ducks because he knew they were off limits.

Spider was also a very cuddly cat, he had no time for being coy or anything like that so he would jump into the laps of strangers and then vibrate furiously as he purred with bliss. He used to sleep in my bed with me, like a person with his head resting on a pillow and every time I went home to visit my family the moment I got through the door I'd always spend some time on the sofa in the kitchen stroking him as he purred and dug his claws into my leg.

He was terribly old for a cat - I think about 19 - so he had a good life full of warm summers and interesting furry things to murder but it is still a shame. I'm going to miss him. If there is an after life he is probably there now chasing after something small and rare, or put another way

SPIDER IS IN UR HEAVENS EATIN UR ANGELS

9 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

It sounds as if he had a great life, what with his doting wife and all the rats to hunt. Very good of him to keep you company on your outings, cats don't often do that. I'm glad he went peacefully in his sleep.

Clair said...

Evil, clever murderering fighter. That cat could clearly have made a great dictator, should he have put his feline mind to it.

RIP, Spider.

Louche said...

GB - Yes, I think he did well

Clair - That is exactly what he would have done, I suppose the world is a slightly safer place now he is gone.

Everything Stops for Tea said...

Bless Spider, off to sharpen his claws on the pearly gates.

Amanda Castleman said...

Aw, Louche, sorry to hear about Spider. Losing any pet is painful, but ones from childhood doubly so; that bonding experience can never be repeated.

Is Stripey in mourning? Poor thing...

Louche said...

Sarah - No doubt

Amanda - The house is awash with cats at the moment, my little brothers cat has had four kittens so they are terrorising Stripey

Amanda Castleman said...

She needs rescuing, clearly, Louche.

Get yer superhero kit out!

Tea said...

Sorry to hear about Spider, Louche.
I too think he`s gone through the pearly gates and will be there to welcome you with his purrs one day.
My old cat Teddy aka Theodore is 21 this month and has watched my children grow up. He`s a bit ratty looking these days even though I give him a good combing, but still has his purr machine securely intact. It will be a sad day too, when he leaves. You take care being Spider Man though!

tea
xo

Louche said...

Amanda - Heh, I think I'm going to be doing all sorts of rescuing soon.

Tea - 21 years! Blimey!