Thursday, March 27, 2008

Spiderman and his flaming hands


Well the spider walk went well. It nearly didn't happen. I was in a bit of a hurry and the costume was rather warm. I was wearing a layer of loose black clothes over the top (my old kick boxing gear) so to people in the street I just appeared to be a bit of a goth in a hurry.

This was okay until I ended up on the wrong street far from the right place so I was walking rather fast and got a bit warm, so I undid my coat a bit. This was fine, people on the street didn't seem to notice but when I got to the Thames and stopped to meet the photographer a Policeman noticed.

A Policeman who was NOT amused. They thought I was some sort of terrorist or Father for Justice out to stage a protest. I would have been quite a good time for a protest, the French president and his very pretty wife were only a few metres away.

I just about managed to 'oh my gosh, oh no Officer I'm not one of those' my way out of the situation but the photographer who was getting very agitated at this point got a bit shouty. It took even more comments along the lines of 'no look, I really quite like the French, I've got Carla's album' before they would let me go.

The first part of the climb involved striking spiderman poses on top of the building with the London eye in the background, then after we did this I had to strike Spiderman poses while half way off the building followed by striking Spiderman poses on the side of the building.

Once I was allowed to actually go down the side of the building by the photographer it was okay. The harness really cut into me, the Spiderman costume didn't offer that much in the way of protection and perhaps I should have gone for the one which was padded.

About half way down the building my glove got caught in the mechanism and I was suspended for a bit rather helplessly. Thankfully with a bit of tweaking I managed to get the rest of the way down with only one glove and landed safely.

I thought it was over but the photographer wanted another run of it, this time taking photos from the bottom of me descending. As this was my second run I went a bit faster, occasionally stopping (painfully) so the photographer could take more photos of my Spiderbum.

This time the rope passing through the gloves managed to set them on fire. Would would have thought that a £50 spiderman costume isn't high performance climbing gear eh? Smoking hands are quite entertaining but not really something I'd recommend to a chum.

I landed safely and I don't think I'll be doing it again, I couldn't really spot the fun in it all, it peaked when I nearly got arrested for menacing Carla.

Still another day another dollar.

7 comments:

Clair said...

I am sooo impressed at yet more heroicism. Before my last landmark birthday, I had two aims, to get arrested and get a tattoo. I got the tattoo; here's to getting arrested in the next seven years (probably drunk and disorderly).

How are you going to top this one, Louche?

Kopaylopa said...

Oh... that is to good. Photos please!

Louche said...

Clair - I didn't know you had a 'tat. Not sure what the next challenge will be, I've got hang-gliding coming up soon.

Kopaylopa - Photos will be in the usual newspaper probably next week.

Clair said...

I forgot about the hang-gliding. And you have to guess:

A) What the tat is
B) Where it is

If you're really unlucky, I'll show you.

Amanda Castleman said...

The next adventure?

Just one word, young man: biodisel...

(Well that probably won't be the next adventure, but it's suitably daft and dashing.)

Louche said...

Clair - woo!

Amanda - Biodisel is the smell of adventure, especially in October.

Anonymous said...

You know, in a supehero costume you could have come and rescued me out at the Debacle of Terminal Five. Forty minutes to find some bloke to come push a jetway up to our plane from Edinburgh.

And now I am back in the states and it's April and I'm STILL missing my luggage (which my friend from Glasgow tells me they have sent en masse to Milan for sorting out. Whose bad idea was that?).

Looked for you while I was in London; but didn't manage to see the people I know, let alone people I might meet.