Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A choice.


I have to decide if I'm going back to Devon this weekend to see the family and have a confrontation with my Father. There is a dedication of the graves of my grandparents on my Father's side, so large amounts of the clan will be there which will be interesting.

But this will involve seeing my father and there are few things that fill me with more dread but alas, this is something I'm going to have to deal with if I ever want to be able to have a normal relationship with anyone, especially people whose names begin with A.

On the plus side Devon is lovely in the summer, the air is heavy with insects and the warm breezes of the hills surround you like a wool blanket. The geese are fun too, my mother keeps large amounts of strange fowl just because she likes them.

I like the way that geese examine you so thoroughly and with just the right amount of contempt before either biting your trousers or waddling off to see what is happening at the pond.

What does one wear to a dedication of a grave? I don't have a good black suit anymore, and my beautiful linen summer suit wouldn't really be right for the occasion.

No comments: