Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Motorbikes and sticking it to the man


This week has been rather good. I got my first piece of journalism published. Proper reporting with investigating and things. I've stuck it to 'the man' or at least told on him. Rock and roll.

Anyway, the other big news today is that I had my bike test. My full bike test, and I passed. It was a bit scary as, well it went a bit wonky in the middle or I thought it had, but it turned out I was okay. There is slightly more to it then that but it's a story for chums in the pub, not for publication on the Internet. It (passing) still hasn't really sunk in, but I think that's because I don't have a road bike to charge about on yet. I've been at bike training all this week so it will be a bit strange tomorrow to not have to get up early, pack all my excitingly armoured gear into a bag and amble over to West London for bike school.

I really enjoyed the lessons, the instructors were brilliant and as well as giving us everything we needed to pass the test they also taught some extra stuff. The sort of extra stuff that could save your life if a corner starts to go a bit wrong. It was also nice to do something so completely focused for a while, and forget other things.

Post test we whizzed back into London and while charging along the road I thought about my dad. I think he would be dead proud of me, I'm not just a fop anymore. Now I'm a biker.

3 comments:

Clair said...

Yay. And ALL that.

piqued said...

One more of us, one less of them

Well done mate, see you on the road...

Louche said...

Clair - Yay indeed.

Piqued - Yeah, I'll be the one burning you UP*

*extremely unlikely