Wednesday, June 04, 2008

'I'll most likely kill you tomorrow'

Well I've had my first trial day. I'll find out on Friday if I've got the job. Trial days are fairly stressful, for some reason I kept thinking of the Apprentice. I couldn't stop imagining that at any moment Sir Alan Sugar would charge in and tell me I'm fired.

Which isn't to say it went badly, it's just that it's fairly high stakes being a dream job and all. In the morning I was given the task of editing an interview. I've not done much editing really, and this interview was awful, I spent most of the morning carefully shifting bits about to try and make it like it should have been. I showed it to one of the editors and the said I had been far too gentle and I should have just started again.

Once I knew this I got on okay and I had it in a fairly reasonable form. This pleased them and the chap who would be my boss said it was good, especially given the source material.

After that I came up with some ideas for one of their regular sections, one of them got the nod so I chucked it together and sent it across. Again the boss seemed pretty pleased with it

4 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

Cow has sometimes when working for a new person, done the assignment twice two different ways.

Then if they say that your editing was too gentle (version 1) you can give them version 2 and see if they like it better.

Since this is a dream job and all might be worth the effort.

Moo!

Clair said...

Is that washing hanging up at the back of the office? It looks like an Italian street scene...

Anonymous said...

Ooh. This is so very thrilling to read, dream job and all!

(And while Clair thought it was washing, I was worried it was an alien spaceship that was sucking humans up some chute and that was why there was an opening...)

Louche said...

Cow - heh, I wish I was that cunning

Clair - No washing, just lots of stylish people flouncing.

BigBouquet - It's like this strange light in the middle of the room that is all bright and like day light, it's rather lovely actually.