Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A recipe for chestnut rolls, by popular request

Here you go chaps. This is from my mother who got it off one of her friends. They are absolutely delish!

Chestnut Sausage Rolls

8 ounces of puff pastry

1 8oz can of unsweetened chestnut puree

I small onion, grated

I crushed garlic clove

I tablespoon lemon juice

I tablespoon soy sauce

4 oz soft brown breadcrumbs

chilli powder

(This is the standard recipe. I put a lot more garlic, onions, soy and chilli in than this because I hate bland stuff.)

Mix filling ingredients. Leave for a while so the breadcrumbs plump up. Add a few more breadcrumbs if mix is too sloppy. It needs to be the consistency of sausagemeat. Roll pastry thinly, cut into long strips 2 inches wide. Roll chestnut mix into rolls size of a little finger and length of the pastry strips and lay on top of the pastry. Damp edges of pastry with cold water, then roll them round mix, pressing edges together. Prick with fork, cut into small rolls, brush with egg or milk if poss. Bake for 10 mins 190 degrees C; 375 degrees F or gas mark 5. You can make these and freeze them before you cook them: they take 15 mins in oven from frozen. Very good with a dip like mango chutney or sour cream.

2 comments:

moi said...

Damn, they sound good... don't suppose you'd consider dropping a package of them off at the red church in spittlefields market...

;0)

Louche said...

Maybe, it depends if I can make a batch large enough to last the journey.