Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Ladies are not soduku


Yesterday evening I went back to a very good friends house for supper, we made risotto together and talked about the situation with A and various other things. It was great to talk to someone face to face about it all and speak out loud about the things that had been troubling me. Then we talked about relationships and other absent fathers. Good female friends are such a treasure.

The up shot of this is I realised that I have been putting far too much energy in trying to solve the riddle of A, she isn't a soduku to be beaten. It sounds like a simple thing, but as I was cycling home I had a bit of an ephinany. I'm just not going to think about it anymore, or talk about it with friends. It's just not going to register. If something happens, it happens but they days of military style planning and a council of advisors are over.

And thus we can return to the important matters of style.

As the season gets a bit cooler it's time to think about jackets again. I have a lovely pinstripe number that I've had for a while now, it's a bit worn around the edges so it affects a slightly rumpled, roguish air while still being smart.

The cut of it is fabulous, it's subtlety broad across the back so it's incredibly masculine and thus entirely safe to wear with a soft pink shirt without even a hint of foppishness. Not that one should fear the fop, just that sometimes it's good to have a dash of testosterone-fueled pinstripe menace to your appearance to remind people that you are a chap after all and any moment you might steal the woman away before the next round of cocktails arrive.

It's also been across my back on the start of many exciting adventures, I think I had my first French Martini while I wore it. It also saw my introduction to the London supper circuit and has almost been on more first dates than I have.

Of course I could have been wearing it through-out the summer but I don't think I was ready for it, I am now.

Oh and the soundtrack to this post is 'You can't always get what you want' by the Rolling Stones.

2 comments:

Tea said...

Sorry to hear things are going strange with your "A".
Unwards and upwards........

tea
xo

moi said...

... but you get what you neeeeeeeeeeeed...