Monday, May 21, 2007

The nature of comedy


Last week all sorts of work things were going splendidly and then I got hopelessly side-tracked into a debate about the nature of comedy. It's completely stumped me to the point where I can't write anything.

The view presented to me was that all comedic characters are pathetic, that is what makes them funny.

Is this true? I can't decide, Blackadder wasn't pathetic (apart from the first series) so what made him funny?

Can you be funny with out being pathetic? What about witty quips?

3 comments:

Clair said...

Ah, but he WAS pathetic in the way that he was always in a role where he was subordinate to somebody else, and not powerful.

Roszs said...

Indeed, and also because he was aware of the ridiculous nature of the system that he himself was a part of.

*strokes beard*

Louche said...

*grows beard*