Friday, July 11, 2008

Skating Vs Cocktails


Skating is excellent. It should be adopted by the temperance movement. There were a selection of cocktails available at the bash last night and yet I only had two drinks because I was too busy on the rink.

My first steps (rolls?) on the skates were more than a little wobbly but after getting some basic tips from a girl in extremely tight shorts I rumbled onto the rink. The first few laps were a little 'troubled' as I got the hang of the movement and then tried to ape the style of the really experienced skaters. It seems that the better you get at skating the more bored you have to look by it all.

Moving wasn't an issue and I could even glide along on one skate for a while but braking caused problems. I couldn't really work out how to stop with grace and so had to just swerve when someone fell-over in front of me. The rink was packed so there were quite a few crashes going on, still crashing provided an excellent talking point and I made some new chums through them. That doesn't happen on bicycles or in cars.

Still after about thirty minutes of intense skating I was getting quite confident, and was swooshing around happily - if someone knocked me I'd throw my arms into the air and look decidedly uncool but the rest of the time I was doing okay. Even when various Z-listers ploughed into me.

A bit later and I was trying to do fast turns and spins, they were okay but I was getting decidedly thirsty and the bar was calling to me so after about an hour of skating I took off my boots and scampered to get last orders.

There was another bash I was supposed to go to but I didn't get a reply to my text message asking if it was still going until I was most of the way home so I got to have a surprisingly early night.

4 comments:

The Topiary Cow said...

Sounds fun.

Moo!

DJ Kirkby said...

I guess it is a bit too late to warn you that I know of two people who broke their elbows while skating...clearly you didn't so all's well that end well.

Louche said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Louche said...

Cow - it was great fun.

DJ - two breaks? Ouch. I didn't see any injuries when I was there just a couple of bruises.