Sunday, July 20, 2008

Cricket report


The cricket day out was excellent. Since I was a complete novice at the sport the other chaps in the team arranged a short training montage for me to learn the basics of how to hold a cricket racquet and so on before we started.

This went okay and so I was full of beans, and rather a lot of beer by the time we took the field. We were playing against a team of people involved in a wine shop who were opening batting. I was fielding, which involved standing about and concentrating on things in the distance. I only touched the ball once during the entire fielding experience but I managed to throw it back fast and in the right direction and thus I feel I contributed.

I was 9th in the batting order, and by about half way through our batting we realised that while it was mathematically possible for us to win the odds were astoundingly long. Still we bravely fought on, and I got to have one whole ball thrown at me while holding a bit of wood to hit it with before the game was over. Still strolling about in the padding was quite entertaining.

After this match there was the final which was played by the two teams who were taking it seriously while we drank more booze - moving onto the wine and tequila now and basked in the sun. There was a lot of reading of the Saturday papers while we experimented with different types of cocktail mixes. Smoothies go jolly well with vodka but you have to drink them fast.

With the final out of the way there was a play off for third place which some of the chaps insisted on playing in their underwear as they had offered to do this if people would donate more for charity, which they did.

We managed to win this game, although I didn't actually get to bat, or touch the ball so I don't feel that involved but a win is a win I suppose. So I don't think I'll be investing in a Cricket costume anytime soon but it was a smashing day out.

1 comment:

Gorilla Bananas said...

I hope you wore all the standard protective devices when you came out to bat.