Monday, September 17, 2007

The madness of grief


When people die it is sad. If you don't really get to say goodbye, or really get involved in the funeral it all seems a bit unreal. So you just get on with your life. The problem with this is that if something goes wrong, it really goes wrong.

I missed a meeting today, it was an important one, I missed it because I got the day wrong and that is bad. The meeting was arranged last Friday when everything went wonky, so it's sort of understandable. This got me in quite a flap to the point where I had to go and make a cup of tea and sit down.

Is this what starting to go mad is like? When things that would normally make you go 'blast' and move on, cause a minor meltdown?

When people ask if you are okay, you are British so of course you say 'oh I'm fine' and then get back to work, but you aren't and it's in a way that is hard to describe.

I don't want to go mad, eccentric I can work with but not mad.

7 comments:

Kopaylopa said...

Don't stress yourself out too much. You need to allow some time and space to grieve. And trust me, even when you are involved in a funeral it all tends to seem vaguely surreal. Or unreal. You are just going to need to be however you feel like being for a little bit. Don't analyze it. It'll be okay. Eventually.

-K

Clair said...

This is V. true. It's the time after the funeral when the reality of grief starts to kick in. People do understand, by and large, if you explain things to them. And don't forget to be kind to yourself. Grief does make you bonkers, so accept this as a natural state at the moment. I found eating a vast amout of carbohydrates helped, too, but this probably isn't very helpful...

Louche said...

K - how much time? I've got an interview tomorrow that is quite important.

Clair - Carbohydrates you say? Well it's worth a go.

Kopaylopa said...

Hm... well Jews go 7 days for sitting shiva and then an additional 23 of official mourning....

I'm sure the interview people will understand....

-K

Piqued said...

Take some time out mate, if you don't all this emotion you're not releasing because of work will just come out later or in another way

A said...

piqued is right, sir fop.

you know it's perfectly right to be feeling sad and discombobulated. it would be odd if you were not, and that's my professional opinion.

x

Louche said...

Ah yes, taking a break would be lovely but sadly I can't. If I don't pay the bills, well all manner of nasty things will happen.