Friday, September 05, 2008

The Iphone, a jolly late review


I've given in and got an Iphone. Now I should preface this with that I'm not an Apple sort of chap, we had Apples at the magazine I used to work at and they were a nightmare to deal with, everything was so expensive to replace and they were constantly doing weird things that made no sense - the weeks spent trying to make them talk to printers at the same time as PCs still makes me shiver with horror.

Anyway, as someone who would be seen in two different tweeds before he would buy an Apple computer buying an Iphone was a bit of a step for me. Admittedly I used to have an Ipod and it was marvellous, but on my first date with TP it got lightly crushed and the screen broke so it sadly is now retired.

I've had a Blackberry phone for over a year now and it's been terribly good. Since I'm a freelance journalist it's really useful to be plugged into my emails all the time - especially when an editor needs to check a couple of things at the last minute. I'm sure if I had a 9 to 5 job the idea of 'the man' being able to constantly email me would be less appealing but for me it's perfect. Sadly recently the Blackberry has started forgetting things, like emails, so it needed replacing and I made the move to an Iphone.

I've only had my new phone for about a week now but I'm completely sold on it. Rather annoyingly Googlemail doesn't 'push' to the Iphone (so it doesn't tell you when an email arrives, you have to check yourself) which I'm imformed will be sorted out soon but apart from that it's better in every way. The map system is frightningly good - it's a little alarming that it can tell my location with in meters without a GPS system. Having another Internet connection is extremely handy, especially when the land line broadband is constantly being interrupted and apart from a couple of niggling things (I can't work out how to cut and paste) it's an excellent bit of equipment.

It's even pleasantly slim so a chap can wear it with a fitted suit.

3 comments:

fourstar71 said...

"I can't work out how to cut and paste"

Yes, you can't. That functionality is not built in. I know. Astonishing.

Louche said...

Wow, that's, erm, brave?

fourstar71 said...

You bet. This is possibly the best suggestion so far:

Ironic Sans: iPhone

and there is apparently (I don't yet own one of these beauties) something called MagicPad on the AppStore which has a solution too...