Saturday, June 09, 2007

Alpha dogging


My adventures with the beagle are progressing. We had very long walk today and he was good, very good. He was responding to commands, staying by my side, not being distracted by food on the pavement and it was even a little bit fun.

He still goes bananas if I try to go to bed before bedtime for any reason (I think this is mostly because he isn't allowed on the bed), but on the plus side he does know that barking at me will not get him what he wants and that I am in charge.

There was an ace bit at lunch time where he just tested the water to see if it was possible to steal my lunch, I bared my teeth at him and he immediately slunk off and then rolled on his back to show he wasn't a threat. I've never hit him or anything, this is all from pretending to eat his food and dominating with eye contact.

Sometimes being an Alpha dog is cool, but I'd love to be able to take an afternoon nap every now and then.

5 comments:

Rice said...

I have a puppy and I can't get that alpha dog attitude down. My puppy sees right through me. It is only a matter of time.

DJ Kirkby said...

I am glad to hear your dad is loving his morphine, must be helping the pain. I refuse to beleive that the beast of a dog is actualy a Beagle, noooo you are joking...?

Louche said...

He is a naughty Beagle, but only a puppy so he can be excused a bit.

Now he won't touch his food until I say he can, it's very impressive, in a doggy way

Rick Rockhill said...

just stumbled across your blog for the first time...well done. I'll be sure to visit regularly. Stop by and say hi sometime!

kllrchrd said...

LOW PROTEIN feed is essential. NO TREATS, feed him last and get the male in the house to feed him. NO over stimulation. Play periods brief 30 secs then turn your back. NEVER leave a Beagle on his own. Ours was unlovable for the first 14months, hell. If he eats no2 add pineapple to his low protein feed. see http://kllrchrd.livejournal.com for pics and info, search the tags. Best of luck.