Monday, April 16, 2007

The promise of heat


There is a special sort of heat you get in the mornings when it's still cool but later on it is going to be soporifically hot during the day. It's like the promise of good things to come, like the rattling noise a cocktail shaker makes when your martini is being made.

I like this moment, the quiet, faintly lonely part of the day when you can hear the birds but the insects haven't quite woken up yet. It reminds me of holidays in the South of France or in Crete that seemed to last forever and all the world revolved around hunting lizards or trying out another alien flavour of ice cream before going to the beach to go and see if you can catch an octopus.

This is an especially promised filled morning as today I start my new exciting job. There isn't even an office yet, we will just be meeting in a coffee shop with computers so I can get various secret passwords and instructions. It's more than a new job, it's the start of a new era. If I was in a series on television, leaving my old work place would have been the cliffhanger at the end of the season and this new job would be the start of the new season with a new cast of characters just waiting to be introduced.

I just hope it isn't 24, I start to get crabby if I don't get enough sleep but that might be useful if the naughty terrorist chaps won't tell you where the bomb is.

No comments: