Friday, August 08, 2008

Giles Coren Vs Raymond Chandler


I'm sure almost everyone on the planet has read Giles Coren's letter to the sub editors, for the three people who haven't here it is. Rant

For anyone who feels the need to harangue sub-editors (and I can't say I approve of such a thing) this is how it should be done. The letter was composed by Raymond Chandler to the editor of The Atlantic Monthly, Edward Weeks.

To Edward Weeks

... Would you convey my compliments to the purist who reads your proofs and tell him or her that I write in a sort of broken-down patois which is something like the way a Swiss waiter talks, and that when I split any infinitive, God damn it, I split it so it will stay split, and when I interrupt the velvety smoothness of my more or less literate syntax with a few sudden words of bar-room vernacular, that is done with the eyes wide open and the mind relaxed but attentive. The method may not be perfect, but it is all I have. I think your proof-reader is kindly attempting to steady me on my feet, but much as I appreciate the solicitude, I am really able to steer a fairly clear course, provided I get both sidewalks and the street between.


And that ladies and gentlemen how it should be done.

6 comments:

Steve Lorimer said...

Marvellous!
That is indeed how it should be done.
I am a fan of Raymond Chander anyway, but thanks very much for posting that.

Louche said...

Cluracan - Glad you enjoyed it.

Amanda Castleman said...

Hurrah! Another excuse to force my writing students to read this blog (the poor blogging classes already have it memorized).

Brill. Simply brill.

Louche said...

Amanda - Is that really wise?

palerider said...

I was hoping it was a photo, even, of Giles sans attire. Oh Well, it'll happen someday.

Unknown said...

To suggest only three people on the planet will not have read these letters is arrogance of the highest order