Sunday, August 03, 2008

Cornish Waterworld


The West Country is damp, super damp. I've actually abandoned Cornwall because it was so wet. Well not entirely, I did have to come back to Devon to pick up some things before I could go and mess around on Tall Ships but I think I'll stay in Devon for the rest of the week instead of going back to Cornwall for more camping.

The surfing photo shoot went well, the photographer this time was amazing, really amazing. Photographers and their subjects should get along as you both have to do something a bit weird together. If you do get on then it's great fun and you can tell it's fun from the photos, if you don't it's awful.

We only had a few hours to get all the shots we needed and I had to borrow clothes off strangers (I'm quite proud of being able to get someone to give me their hoodie for half an hour when they had no idea who I was) and get women I'd never met before to pose in photos but we managed it and it was good. I even had time to have a light brunch with the photographer while we waited for the instructor to return.

Posing strangers was fun as they kept acting all stiff because the camera was on them. We didn't have time to give them a few drinks because we had to take photos fast so we had to resort to being silly. Also we needed some 'wine' for the photos and I suggested we use black current juice and water which looked the part and made me feel like a special effects person, albeit one in someone else's hoodie.

It was a good day, and the photos are stunning. I'm tempted to post one even though it would out me and that is not good. Instead I'll save it for something else like an official work website which I should have set up years ago.

Do they really work? Has anyone got work through their website?

3 comments:

rach said...

Not sure I've ever got work through people who've found my website randomly (eg via Google or whatever), but it's been essential as a showcase for what I do. If I'm tendering for a job, or sending in a spec proposal it's really useful to have an online portfolio to direct people towards - much easier than cutting and pasting links into an email each time (especially as most of my work is online, rather than print-based these days).

DJ Kirkby said...

I've never had any job offers through my website. Not sure what that signifies though...

Amanda Castleman said...

I've had gobs of work off my portfolio site.

Most amusingly, a Swedish publication wanted to fly me from Greece to Cyprus to interview a hog farmer. Except I was in Budapest that weekend.

Before anyone mistakes my life for glamorous, please bear in mind that I'm working about 10 feet from the cat pan right now...

Anyway, websites, yes: love 'em as a writer and editor (especially when I need someone in, say, Panama City at super short notice). At first the hype and "vanity domain name" embarrassed the heck outta me, but as the gigs – and press trips – rolled in, I sold my soul with a smile.