Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Secret Cinema


The Hitchcock Blonde took me to a Secret Cinema event on Friday and it was spiffing. I would have posted about this earlier but in a rare turn of events I left my laptop at home instead of carting it up to London.

If you've not heard of Secret Cinema they are an organisation who show films in secret locations (You don't know about the location until the day of the showing) and who put a bit of work into making the experience a bit more that just sitting down and eating popcorn.

We still didn't know what the film was going to be as we queued up but when a Rick Moranis look a-like ran past shouting 'there is a bear chasing me' we worked out it was Ghostbusters.

The Royal Horticultural Hall had been taken over as a location and turned into the hotel from Ghostbusters. Parts of it had been transformed into a library, the GhostBuster offices and they even had the funny dog things and a fridge with a temple in it. There seemed to be a cast of hundreds of people running around playing various parts from the film and the fact that the set dressing was slightly low-fi really added to the fun. The chap playing Egon was a spitting image of the one from the film but the rest of the Ghostbusters were a bit, well I wasn't sure which one was Dan Akroyd and which was Bill Murray.



Ghostbusters is a classic film so I was happy to see it again and all the people dressed up was really good fun but I think if I was going to go to Secret Cinema again I'd want to know what they were showing first.

I don't think I'd quite so easily watch Dirty Dancing or even the Princess Bride. I should point that the only reason I mention the latter is because I've seen it a bit too many times.

5 comments:

Kopaylopa said...

There is no such thing as a bit too many times and you should take that comment back immediately!! :(

( ;) )

-K

Louche said...

I would have agreed with you but I have seen it a bit too much in the last year or so, and we need some time apart to remember why we got on so well before?

(It is still an aces film)

BPP said...

Jesus. This sounds fucking appalling. How old is everyone in London? Five? What's next? Hide and seek? Doctors and Nurses?

Everyone involved with this 'Secret Cinema' guff should be led kicking 'n' screaming to the gallows.

Annie said...

Hello, visiting from Claire Woo.

'Parts of it had been transformed into a library, the GhostBuster offices'

This sounds utterly magnificent. Thanks! Will sign up forthwith.

Louche said...

BPP - if you move to London that is the sort of activity you will be FORCED to go to.

Anne - do, it's fun.