Friday, December 12, 2008

Man work

Well my first week of man work is over. I like it. The office is fun,
the work is engaging and interesting and I get on with who I work
with. Also I'm doing work involving my favourite subject.

The only downside is the commute, especially the journey home. Heading
in takes about two hours but it's not too bad. I have a book and I'm
an early riser so it suits me well.

It is the journey home that causes woes. It takes at least three hours
and has taken four hours before when I was very unlucky with timings.
This means I get home and have time to eat and wash before I go to bed.

One way to make the travel easier would be to get a better ticket for
a slightly different train route which is much faster but they will
make my travel costs over 150 pounds a week which is on the edge of
making going to work counter productive.

It seems wrong that public transport is so expensive, especially since
I travel against the flow of people and I am often the only person on
the train.

Still it is smashing fun working there.

4 comments:

Clair said...

Yeah, they should pay you to go on that train, you know. Glad it's all LOVELY when you get there, though, fellow ***** wage-slave.

Kopaylopa said...

You could possibly rent a small room there and stay during the week (for less than 150 quid a week!)? Not idea obviously, but something I've needed to consider myself....

-K

BPP said...

Are you trying
To convince your six readers
That you're a poet
By writing your drivel
In this peculiar new way?
Or are you simply
Suffering from brain-damage,
And have forgotten to write
Properly, like?
You balding TURD.

Amanda Castleman said...

Man, that sucks. For a few months, I reverse-commuted from London to Oxford via tube and two buses. I know the horror of the 4-8 hour transport day. By the end, I was so desperate, I ditched my Camden hellhole and slept on the office floor for a week.

My boss said something classy like, "don't wash your knickers in the sink. But at least you're good security: no one will steal the computers!"

My sympathies, Louche!