Friday, December 19, 2008

Gingerbread


Today was a day of ups and downs. I discovered I'd still not been paid for my previous work, yes still. Which as you can imagine started the day off badly. So badly in fact that I could feel the first twinges of a headache building and I felt like just giving up. I'm not sure what I was going to 'give up' on but definitely something.

It turns out that all the people I'd spoken to were desperately trying to rush through the payment but it had to go through an accounts deparment in Gateshead who had been slacking off all week and then decided to work a half day and get drunk at their Christmas lunch rather than pay poor chaps so they could get Christmas Presents.

Not a good day. Thankfully a chum offered to lend me some cash until I get paid and so I'll be able to get presents and visit the family. *phew*.

With this emergency dealt with the chap I've been working for put on a serious face and said he wanted to have a chat. Oh no!

This chat turned out to be a job offer. The money is good, but slightly less than I (rather cheekly) asked for and to make up for this they are going to include a company bike. HURRAH.

So I used my last 80p in the whole world to buy a gingerbread man as there are times when a chap has to splash out on baked goods to mark special occasions. Special occasions like landing a great job in an office that is fun to be in in a company with room to grow doing something you love. And also landing a job that you know would make your Dad's eyes go all twinkley with pride if he knew about it.

Yes that's the sort of day when you buy gingerbread.

6 comments:

Valentine Suicide said...

Company bike, eh?

*whistles appreciatively*

Clair said...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx X 100

That's MY best Christmas present, never mind yours.

Amanda Castleman said...

Yay Louche! Just did a modified happy dance in your honor!

xerxes said...

Louche, glad you've had good news.

Louche said...

Valentine - Yup, with wheels and everything.

Clair - gin alround I say.

Amanda - Glad to hear it, hope you didn't injure yourself. Now I just have to solve the Commute.

Inspot - Ta.

BPP said...

In the new year you might want to consider opening a savings account. It's a bit old-fashioned, I know, but does mean a fully grown man with a job doesn't find himself in the kind of situation where he has to live on gingerbread, for fuck's sake.

Oh, and congratulations on your job offer and your free use of a death-trap. Can I have first dibs on your liver? I've used mine up, I fear.

And Merry Christmas (even though there's no actual substance behind that sentiment).