Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Puppies and ghosts


Doing well in gym is a weird experience for me. I wasn't that sporty at school, not in the traditional sense. I used to sail a lot outside of school but that's not really football is it? So I never really had a P.E. teacher going 'well done' at me.

Which makes this sort of mid-life crisis towards fitness all the more strange. I spend a lot of time talking to the gym chap about how I can improve my times and things and then like a puppy getting a reward I get praise for beating my targets again. For some reason I find this terribly compelling, even when praise for my professional work makes me cringe.

So what is that all about? Or is it one of those things one shouldn't question too hard.

It was another day of rowing practice, this time I managed 7.10 so an improvement, but I could have done better. I ran out of steam towards the end and then my technique went all wonky. I was on course for a sub 7 minute time before then.

Also I pushed myself so hard I felt a bit weird for the rest of the day, which is against the point of going to the gym in the first place. I go to the gym to feel excellent, not like a ghost with a hangover.

No comments: