Sunday, April 05, 2009

Ten pounds of fun


I've had a strangely productive day. Rather annoyingly I've been 'on duty' this weekend which involves waiting for the Dinosaur to send me stories which I have to file away. This isn't my normal job, someone on my team normally does it but in a fit of selflessness I volunteered to split the weekend cover with them and another chap.

This selfless act means that one weekend in three involves me glaring at my computer instead of enjoying the sunshine. Hopefully someone else will start doing it but until then I shall just have the occasional rage filled weekend.

Because one never knows when a story will appear I can't be far away from a computer at any time so any sort of extended trip is off the cards, unless you travel in the evenings or mornings. So I've used the time mildly productively and had a bit of a spring clean.

I've not only washed everything I possibly can, I've also re-arranged my room so my bed is in an entirely different place and shuffled a few other things. This does mean my bed is in a faintly ridiculous place in the room but it's a different place and that's what I wanted.

I also snuck out and got some shopping for the week, on a motorbike. Motorbikes are wonderful things but they aren't ideal for doing the weekly shop. You have to plan ahead with the size of the items you buy and also think about how much they weigh. Lugging a helmet around with a basket of shopping isn't recommended either. Still it's an excuse for a ride and that's enough for me. Once I'd had my shop out the way I took the bike I have for the weekend out for a ride.

That was excellent fun. The sun was shining, the roads were moderately clear and I went off exploring along twisty back roads and sweeping A-roads. On a lovely spring day like this, with a willing machine, I can't imagine £10 better spent than blown on a tank of petrol.

The bike I have is pleasantly 'fruity' which means you can either poodle along enjoying the view or a slight twist of the wrist means you have to focus entirely on the road. I've driven some absolutely insane cars, but they struggle to get even close to the joy of bimbling around on a motorbike.

I've just realised I forgot to buy some toothpaste, oh no. I'll have to ride to the shops to get some. The local shops are closed so I think I'll have to go really far away to get it, probably at the end of some really wiggly roads. I bet I get lost too, so it takes me hours. Hurrah.

No comments: