Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Cars, mustard and flowers.


I have returned from Devon. Yet again it was a pleasant trip. Strangely my ancestral home was spared any sort of bad weather so we were feeding geese broken biscuits in bright, life-giving sunshine while the rest of England was being slowly washed away in floods.

The family party was good fun, it was in a huge tent in the grounds of one of the family piles in Dorset. This estate had loads of slightly snooty looking Alpacas striding around much to the amusement of my little brother. They were just the other side of a ha-ha so you could safely eyeball them from the croquette lawn with minimal danger to your gin and tonic.

The meal was good, a large pig on a spit roast fed the 150 or so distant rellies and in between courses my little brother and I had a fiercely fought mustard eating contest followed by a round of see-who-can-eat-the-biggest-flower. I won that but felt very strange for the rest of the day.

I've just got back from a test drive in the new Aston Martin, H has one for a few days to review so we went for a needless drive up to the Heath and back again getting as lost as possible so more driving could happen. Strangely unlike other high-performance cars people let you out when you are driving it.

It is a splendid car, at low speeds it's almost silent and then when you step on the accelerator it roars into life. You could almost feel the Polar bears dying because of the excessive petrol consumption but I think their deaths were not in vain.

I want one, actually I need one (the car, not the polar bear - our flats have a no pet policy) I just need to find some way of getting £120,000. I wonder how much my cravat collection is worth.

No comments: