Thursday, October 02, 2008

Birthday Kebab


Well my birthday is rattling around again. I'm not quite sure what to do for it. It's a vaguely significant birthday because, well to put it bluntly the last year has been a pretty rubbish one. Oh there were some good bits, don't get me wrong but in balance I think it was one to skip - I think all the fun bits can be condensed into a week that would mostly involve motorbikes, spiderman costumes and Hitchcock Blondes.

So yes, hopefully this age will be over. I think I should have known that it was going to be slighty iffy when my birthday came around.

I'd not had a birthday with a girlfriend, well for a terribly long time so I had no idea what to expect. Actually, thinking about it before then I'd always been single for birthdays. If you are a regular reader you will know that I was in quite a serious relationship at the time, we were living together and everything.

For my birthday I got a kebab. Yes a kebab, a chicken kebab to be exact. Now I wasn't expecting anything huge but something a bit more significant that a meat-based snack would have been, well nice. It wasn't even a sit down meal, we went to a kebab shop.

Days or so later that my girlfriend returned from shopping absolutely laden with presents. I mean she could barely hold them all, and I got a little bit excited. No mention was made of the gifts, and after what seemed like hours I politely enquired who they were for and she said she had decided to get some presents for her Aunts just because.

I didn't even get a card until a few days after that and the reason given was 'Well you seemed all grumpy so you didn't deserve it.'

It's not that I wanted a diamond waistcoat or golden pants, I just wanted something with a bit of thought in it that didn't come with a risk of food poisoning.

Still I suppose that at least I won't have to try hard to improve on it. I mean the bar has been set very low.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

After the Cheater was outed, it was my birthday. I opened the box he handed me and found within a rather unattractive jacket that was not at all my style. In fact, it was very much something that his therapist/our marriage counselor would wear and it dawned on me that in therapy she must have suggested where to go and what to buy because the twit was incapable of coming up with anything on his own.

I'm with you -- it really isn't so much what the gift is, as long as it shows some thought, and suggests that the giver really "gets" the your essence. I don't sense in the least that your "essence" has anything to do with a kebab..... Better luck this year!

Daisy

Amanda Castleman said...

During uni, I pointed out to an ex that we'd lived together four months and dated about 16, yet my only memento was a PLASTIC IGUANA.

"Why didn't you say something sooner?" he complained.

"I shouldn't have to."

To his credit, he rushed out and bought me a lovely cedar box with a NW bear carving. But I still like the iguana better somehow...

Louche, I predict good things for this year's celebration. For starters, you have friends who understand you're worth at least a skewer of real meat, if not, say, a whole supersized steak...

Louche said...

BigBouquet - What did you do with the jacket?

Amanda - Do you have the iguana still?

Amanda Castleman said...

Oh yes, the plastic iguana has lived on several continents with me now.

A former roommate got tired of looking at this $5.95 gag gift and carved me a wooden version instead (he also was trying to impress an English Rose of my acquaintance – and indeed, it worked). The sculpture has pride of place now, however.